This is part 3 of the 6-part series, "Villains: How to Avoid Their Path of Destruction." In this message, Pastor Paul looks at the downfall when allowing pride into your life and doing things your way instead of God's.
Key Scripture (1 Samuel 9-15).
"Don't judge a book by its cover."
- That is a somewhat familiar statement many people have made as well as been guilty of.
- It is too easy to make judgments about people.
A change in leadership.
- The children of Israel are in the process of making a change of leadership.
- They choose to have a king instead of God ruling over them.
- They wanted to be like the nations around them.
- Saul was chosen as the first king of the nation of Israel.
- Even though Saul looked the part of a king, his character told a completely different story.
- Saul made a series of bad choices, which led to the end of his reign as king.
- He made a sacrifice instead of waiting on Samuel to do it when he arrived.
- He did not fully obey God's instructions about the Amalekites.
- Do things God's way.
- We can choose to ignore God and become villainous by doing things ourselves and arrogantly clinging to our titles and abilities.
- Or we can humble ourselves and choose to go through life doing things God's way.