Why Should I Give?
Key Scripture Matthew 6:1-4.
Taking credit for something.
- Have you ever done something good, but you wanted credit for it?
- Conspicuous generosity.
- Note: The following quote was taken from an article about selfish giving. Here is the link to the article.
- Source: Tovia Smith, “‘Selfish’ Giving: Does It Count If You Get in Return?,” NPR News, December 22, 2009, https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121718372).
- Quote: “You should just be generous to be generous. You should do what’s right because it’s right, not because of what you get back.” Richard Weissbourd.
What's your motive?
- In Matthew 6:2, Jesus told the disciples about how they should give.
- Believers are not to parade their religion around.
- The goal of giving should not be so that others can see it.
- Giving pleases God.
- God is pleased when you give for the right reasons.
- God has been incredibly generous to you (to all of us for that matter).
- Giving should be done with the goal of pleasing God.
God is a generous giver.
- Throughout the Bible, we see that God gives generously.
- His greatest gift of generosity was Jesus dying on the cross in order to provide eternal life for anyone who believes in Him.
- We can learn from Jesus' example.
- The Apostle Paul talked about Jesus' example in Philippians 2.
- Jesus had a heart for others.
- He was very generous during His earthly ministry.
Ways that you can give.
- Note: These are just a few suggested ways that you can give. Always follow God's leading when it comes to generosity and giving.
- Everyone in the world has the same amount of time.
- Giving takes time.
- If you are going to give, it is going to take some of your time.
- Spend time praying for others.
- Prayer takes time.
- Time spent with God in prayer is never wasted time.
- Note: There are different ways to encourage people. Below you will find a few.
- Positive greeting or conversations with people.
- Send someone a note of encouragement.
- Note: There are many ways to do this.
- Text message.
- DM on social media.
- Physical card, letter or postcard.
- Note: In Matthew 6:1-4, Jesus is specifically talking about financial giving.
- Tithe--it's the 10% that belongs to God.
- Missions--this is separate from the tithe.
- Give to others financially however and whenever God guides you.
- God is a giving Father who teaches us not to be self-centered in our giving.
- Determine to give to others for their sake and because we love God, not for what we can get out of it.